There are situations when after getting up in the morning, you realize that you won’t be able to make it work. Now, this is when you want to send a professional sick leave mail to manager informing about your absence from work. While, this is the most important thing to do, most of the employees are not sure how to write a sick leave mail to manager. However, worry not, this article will show you how to write a medical leave mail to the manager.
THE REQUIRED INFORMATION:
- Before you could start writing a mail, prepare a checklist by either writing it down manually or by having it mentally. The checklist contains the most important things that will help you get your sick leave sanctioned, and will also sound professional. This section of writing sick leave to the manager will deal with the same.
- Keep the reason for your absence precise and up to a point. For example, if you’re affected with flu, put it down on checklist and mention that you have flu.
- Decide the number of days you’ll be absent from work and put on the checklist. If you’re struggling with specific symptoms, and are not sure about the number of days, you’ll need to recover, consult a doctor and put a number on the checklist.
- If you’ll be able to respond to emails or attend calls from the office, mention in a line.
- Can you work from home? Mention in another line.
- Do you have a doctor’s note, make a note in the checklist to add that too.
- If your work needs to be handled by another person, remember to mention it along with the parts of work that person will be working on.
- For a professional closing of mail, include a simple closing like, “regards” and your name, signature, designation.
- Note: If you are applying for paid sick leave, mention it.
- Time limit: Either send it the previous night or before the starting of work-timing.
FORMAT OF SICK LEAVE EMAIL:
After preparing a checklist, you would want to know the format of a sick leave mail to manager. There are numerous formats, and the following one will elucidate a simple format of sick leave mail to the manager.
Subject: Sick Leave/ request for sick leave/ any appropriate subject.
- Content that includes the details of your checklist,
- Regards/Thanks/Thanks and regards,
- The closing of mail with mandatorily your signature.
(Note – )
SAMPLE FORMAL CONTENTS:
Knowing the format of a professional sick leave mail to the manager, you would want to know to write formal content. For the same, this section will show you few sample contents of sick leave mail to the manager.
- This mail is to notify you that since I am experiencing critical health problems right now, I need to go outstation to meet a specialist doctor. For this, I won’t be able to come to the office for two consecutive days. I kindly request you to consider my plea and grant me leave on (mention the dates).
- With due respect, I would like to state that it won’t be possible for me to be present in the office tomorrow. The reason is, I’ve been feeling sick for many days (mention date if possible), and I’ve got doctor’s appointment which is scheduled for tomorrow. I request you to grant me leave for a day. Mr./Ms.______, my assistant in the current project will lead my team tomorrow in my absence.
- I would like to bring to your kind attention that I am seriously ill as I am affected with jaundice and the doctors suggest me to take a week’s break. I would like to apply for a leave, beginning from tomorrow. My project partner will take over the work in my absence and I would like to apply for paid medical leaves. I’ve attached the copy of the medical certificate. Kindly refer the file attached for the same.
- Since I fell sick last night, I will not be able to attend work today and tomorrow. I would like to use one of my sick days to cover for this absence. Kindly let me know if further information is required.
- Kindly accept this letter as written notification that I was not able to attend work today due to sickness and I will be back after three days since it is advised by doctors to take required rest. Attesting the medical certificate in this mail, I would like to apply for paid medical leave. My partner in the current project would lead my team during my absence. Since I am asked to take complete bed-rest, I won’t be able to respond to emails or official calls and my partner who is handling my team will handle the same.
SICK LEAVE MAIL TO MANAGER:
Now that you know how to write formal content in a sick leave mail to the manager, you would want to know to write the full mail and this section deals with the same.
Your First and last name- example, Andrew James
Designation- example, Marketing analyst.
Organization address-example, xxx, plot: 4,5, yyy lane, zzz colony, ggg city, bbb state, vvv country and pin code.
Employer’s first and last name- example, Mark Walberg,
Organization address- example, xxx, plot: 4,5, yyy lane, zzz colony, ggg city, bbb state, vvv country and pin code,
Therefore, the ‘from’, ‘date’ and ‘to’ will appear together as.
xxx, plot: 4,5, yyy lane, zzz colony, ggg city, bbb state, vvv country and pin code,
xxx, plot: 4,5, yyy lane, zzz colony, ggg city, bbb state, vvv country and pin code.
Subject: Applying for paid medical sick leave.
Formal Introduction but diving into the topic- Kindly accept this letter as written notification that
Reason for mail- I will not able to attend work today (insert date)
Reason for absence-sickness
Any file attached- Medical certificate
Further information- *paid medical leave or just medical leave*
Shifting of work responsibility- *mention the one who is taking up your work in your absence, which includes his name and designation*
Note: if you are handling multiple projects, mention the exact project name, the name of the person who will handle it in your absence, and designation.
Availability-*mention if you’ll be available via mail or phone to discuss official matters*
Note: the above is to be made mentally or manually by making a check-list and is to guide you step-by-step. After following the above steps, content will be like as follows:
Kindly accept this letter as written notification that I will not able to attend work today (insert date) due to sickness and I will be back after 3 days since it is advised by doctors to take required rest. Attesting the medical certificate in this mail, I would like to apply for paid medical leave. My partner in the current project would lead my team during my absence. Since I am asked to take complete bed-rest, I won’t be able to respond to emails or official calls and my partner who is handling my team will handle the same.
Note: This is a sample format for sick leave mail to manager that you can write on a leave application and mail as well. However, it’s advised that if you want to send a mail, you can directly start with the subject followed by Dear and the name of the person it’s addressed to. The content could be kept the same, and once you complete the sick leave mail to manager, you need to end it with regards and your name and designation.
There are various methods to write a sick leave mail to manager or a medical leave mail for office, and the samples provided in the article are standard, precise, and can be used accordingly.